Russell Kennedy is a commercial law firm with over 270 people in Melbourne and Sydney.
We are committed to providing exceptional legal strategies and solutions to our clients, guided by market-leading expertise across our sectors of focus.
We are very proud of our culture and we work hard to recruit like-minded professionals who will suit the needs and expectations of our clients and our collegiate atmosphere.
We encourage a professional and committed work ethic, while recognising the importance of an enjoyable working environment and balanced lifestyle.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Legal Secretary to join the Government, Planning and Environment team.
Role and Key Responsibilities
Providing both legal secretarial and administrative support to the Chairperson / Principal and a Lawyer working across town planning, building, environmental, prosecutions and administrative law, key responsibilities of this role include:
- Diary Management - proactively managing appointments, tasks and reminders for file work, hearings, settlements, client meetings, etc.
- Document Preparation - transcription of digital dictation and general typing, including preparation of correspondence, business development documents and tenders, agreements, advices and court documents. Working with templates and precedents.
- File Management - create and maintain files in an orderly manner. Ensure all documents, letters, file notes, etc., are filed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Document Management – preparation of substantial amounts of documentation including barrister’s briefs, court books, compiling submissions.
- Billing – entering daily timesheets, prepare detailed bills in accordance with firm protocols and monthly deadlines (Elite).
- Client Support – screening telephone calls, assisting with client queries where appropriate, managing client expectations around communications.
Skills / Knowledge
To be successful in this role, you will have 5+ years’ experience in legal, preferably with exposure to administrative law.
Polished secretarial and administration skills, as well as advanced document production skills. Additionally, you will have excellent attention to detail, a flexible attitude and an ability to work well under pressure. Knowledge of Elite and FileSite is preferred, however not essential.
Russell Kennedy promotes a workplace culture that actively embraces and fosters diversity and inclusion. Our aim is to support a culture where individuals of all backgrounds and abilities feel included and confident in bringing their whole selves to work, and where their talents are fostered, empowering them to contribute to the success of the firm. Russell Kennedy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is certified as a WGEA Employer of Choice for Gender Equality.
Russell Kennedy is committed to attracting the best talent available and is open to discussing flexible work arrangements for all of our listed vacancies.
Any questions regarding the vacancy can be directed to Victoria Strachan, People & Culture Officer on (03) 9609 1565.
For further information or to submit your application for this position please visit the careers page on our website.
Please note any offer of employment made by Russell Kennedy Lawyers to the successful candidate will be subject to a police check.